During the so called ‘REAGAN ERA’ (1981 through 1989) liberalization of US foreign policy with breaking of barriers between East and West… that included smashing of famous ‘Berlin-wall’, with words- “Mr Gorbachev tear down this wall” was the best thing that could happen for economies of many countries in East as well as the West.
Come to think of it, all this came about from the most conservative ‘Ronald Reagan’ who was elected as the 40th President of USA in 1981.
- US hegemony, leadership on global issues was appreciated in Central Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern and Far Eastern countries during the ‘REAGAN ERA’, in my view.
- Globalization of East-West trade and commerce got a boost after President Ronald Reagan at the White House.
The Democrats who won the white House, often boast that the ‘Clinton and Obama years’ brought about most liberalization of US Policy, and most East-West-trade.
- Democrats claim that economies of many countries got a boost during President Bill Clinton and President Barrack Obama years at the White House. Both of them had been elected on the Democratic party ticket in USA.
- After WWII, I would say, Democrats at the White House brought more devastation and cruel wars to Central Asia, and the Middle East; not much East-West Trade and Commerce!
Friends, I would like to have your comments on: “the decade or best years, for EAST-WEST-TRADE RELATIONS, GLOBAL COMMERCE, for USA, Russia, Japan, Korea, Middle Eastern countries and US-allies”
- In particular, I would like to know whether Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Japan, Korea, UK, Canada, Middle East, South America, India, China, Africa benefited most from from Republican Party Administration in USA or the Democratic Party Administration in USA?
Ever smiling President Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan (photos from wikipedia, other sources on Net.)
I was a rookie high-tech-engineer during the ‘REAGAN ERA’. I had just immigrated from India to the US in late 1970s; started working for a small company that had its R&D Center at Cleveland OHIO and most Operations in Houston TX. Our company worked on several projects in collaboration with International Companies in those days.
I used to boast a US AIRFORCE (USAF) cleared ‘Classified-Secret’ badge to work on US Government and NASA projects in those days.
I have no hesitation in saying that ‘Reagan Era’ plus liberalization of US-economy by the ever smiling President Ronald Reagan, brought career opportunities to many up and coming engineers (like myself,) all over the world. In hindsight I would say that I got most career opportunities in the so called ‘Reagan Era’.
As far as America is concerned, Collaborative & Competitive projects, tie-ups for large scale manufacturing wherever labour was cheap around the globe (in West as well as East) including mainland China began with the ‘Reagan-era’; that is my view.
- I too got my first break to visit (officially) Johnson Space Center (JSC) at Houston Texas along with a delegation that came to visit our small company in Cleveland OHIO in the snow belt.
- Our company had R&D center then in Cleveland OH and most operations in Houston Texas; it was looking for collaborations to market its products all over Eastern and Western countries. It had tie-ups then in UK, South-Africa, Australia, Japan, India and China too.
Posting a few pictures of myself with a China delegation at JSC Houston Texas.
(pic-1) Me at extreme left (in picture) infront of NASA Moon lander replica.
( Pic-2) China delegation and I, listening to an ‘intro’ to SPACE SHUTTLE MISSIONS by a NASA employee in foreground. I am at extreme left close to the photo display board.)
My visit to the Johnson Space Center (JSC) and NASA Mission Control room located at JSC are still green in my memory. I have to trace and retrieve more pics from that project from my archives. If I do, I will add them here.
During the ‘REAGAN-ERA’, I worked mostly in companies that had secured US-Government and NASA Contracts (classified work and Commercial work.) My then employers included GE-Government Services, GE-Astrospace and AT&T-Federal Telcom Services. My assignments were challenging. I have no hesitation in saying that during the ‘REAGAN-ERA’, I was most gainfully employed.
RELATED BLOGS BY ME
- Two speeches that shook humankind | Sulekha Creative
- America has more oil under its nose & thumb now than 20yrs ago | Sulekha Creative
- Russia-Ukraine war will be felt by common man in India | Sulekha Creative
- Why Russia wants Ukraine | Sulekha Creative
- What will be biggest outcome of Howdy Modi!? | Sulekha Creative
- President Obama in Afghanistan-video on future plans for region | Sulekha Creative
- 10 Years & 17 Years (video-6) After 9-11 of 2001 in Manhattan NYC | Sulekha Creative
- ‘Out of Many, One’ – Is that what Osama wanted to destroy? | Sulekha Creative
- China fires ‘aircraft-carrier killer’ missile into SCS amid US recce – The Writer Friends
Thewriterfriends.com is an experiment to bring the creative people together on one platform. It is a free platform for creativity. While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of platforms that provide space for expression around the world, the feeling of being a part of fraternity is often lacking. If you have a creative urge, then this is the right place for you. You are welcome here to be one of us.
I remember, I was in 6th standard then. We used to come back from school around 4:30 PM. Immediately after dumping the school bags, removing the school uniform and changing in to a set of ‘home clothes’ we would rush out to play. The sun sets early in the hills and every minute used to…
(pic) photo credit, Reuters Image Wednesday, Sept-2 2020 (INDIA) Facebook (India) is under attack by political parties: Congress and BJP. Their charge against Facebook were,,, promoted content to favor one (or more) political parties particularly during election time. did not publish content of posters who criticised the working of government. blocked posters who criticised…
Growing up for us was tough- Part 1 Was it really tough? I can’t contradict myself at the beginning of an article. Even the most seasoned politicians can’t do it, but I am not a politician anyway. Am I a confused writer or a little bit of alcohol has befuddled me? Without being judgmental…
The most awaited month has arrived May, the month of vibrant colors It brings a wave of crimson spread My branches shine in vibrant colors Dancing to the tune of a mild breeze The Garden looks deserted in the crowd The garden appears deserted to me No one to appreciate my blossom No one caresses,…
Nations are like individuals. Success and failures carry them like roller coaster rides do. Some of it results from statistical events while some of it results from one’s own making. No one can always be successful, nor can be immune from the downswings of life. Three science and technology examples from recent times have caught…
Regret Plenty and bountiful! Everyone has their own Me, for missing my Blue Label in Mumbai Despite bountiful The shepherd boy On the top of the mud hill Staring at the setting sun Had his own! for not having taken birth in affluent lands! At the middle age many regret After having met a lovely…