I have found the following very useful to be happy
(1) I catch up with my classmates of school, college and old colleagues and students. I talk somewhere between 15 minutes to almost one hour each to at least five of them daily. When we talk, and revive our old memories, we go back in our mind (In my case it is 10 to 60 years) and feel the same age in mind of the things revived in the memory. I become younger by that many years and with five such conversations on an average I am back in my teenage or twenties on most days.
(2) We can be happy if we learn something new every day. There are many things unknown to us and the very joy of learning gives us real happiness. It could be how a particular plant comes with its leaves, or how certain things works. The field is unlimited. Many lifetimes won’t be sufficient to cover the vast knowledge that is available. We can use the current technologies to understand these by reading/hearing/ watching etc. When we are doing this, it arouses our childlike curiosity, and then it is like having our own favourite toy.
(3) We need to develop our talents. Everyone is born to be creative, and it is a pity that less than 0.5% use their inborn talents. It could be singing or painting or writing or can be playing an instrument or taking wonderful photographs. Again the possibilities are unlimited. It is time that we invest some time daily on pursuit of our talents and share it with others.
(4) It has been found that music is soothing to mind and lift us from pensive mood to one of happiness. The same way enjoying nature directly or through the photographic lens can take us to greater heights.
(5) In addition to being passive in enjoying music or nature or movies etc., it would be still better if we can be active in producing them. Invest at least 15 minutes to record those creative activities. Stories can of real or imaginary so long as it gives a positive vibe. It always can inspire and each one us can make our own stories. It is a fact that each one of us is a born storyteller and recorder of events. Only few put it in black and white with a pen while still fewer make it as an art form like a painting or a movie. With practice, we can find that we can be reasonably good. But 95% of the time we do not make even the first step.
(6) The new technology has brought us into a virtual world and the internet is a powerful medium. But unfortunately most of us are happy with recycling the trash given by some stupid politicians and spread hatred via the social media. When we react to it- agreeing or disagreeing with lots of emotions using some harsh words, we are getting those emotions in our mind and it spoils our health and mind. We unnecessarily increase our Blood pressure and spoil our relationships with our dear ones. Instead, we can use the same energy in looking at the world with a positive perspective and life can always be beautiful So let us avoid all these trash.
Thewriterfriends.com is an experiment to bring the creative people together on one platform. It is a free platform for creativity. While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of platforms that provide space for expression around the world, the feeling of being a part of fraternity is often lacking. If you have a creative urge, then this is the right place for you. You are welcome here to be one of us.
I belong to a family where WALKING is a passion. A Manthra. A watchword for good health. My husband wakes up at 4.45 a.m. and leaves for his “WALK” by 5.15 a.m. My son who is in Bangalore ” WALKS ” . He has a passion for the MARATHONS and takes part with all sincerity.…
Military ties between Indian and American defence forces are growing further in the middle of a conflict with China, as the US Navy has agreed to provide three 127mm medium calibre guns from its own inventory to urgently equip warships of the Indian Navy as part of a Rs 3,800 crore deal. This is in…
Although I am a Bangalorean by birth, schooled initially at Bengaluru in Science/Engineering, I had not visited the Art Of Living (AOL) Ashram of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. This is due to the fact that right after a stretch of PG schooling at Bengaluru in the south, I moved to Northern India pursuing a research…
Birth pangs ……… I must tell you that the pain that one undergoes before the birth of his /her brain child is none the less compared with what we women undergo on the cold operation table in the theatre of a hospital awaiting the little one’s arrival. To put it bluntly, the birth of…
(pic-1) Photo download from internet “Look at the view… you can see the horizon from here… sky is the limit…” exclaimed Raju as he pointed at the manhattan-view from the hotel balcony to his bride Anu, still green from Kannur where they had been married just a week before. “See that tall sky scraper there……
लेखक : अलेक्सान्द्र पूश्किन अनुवाद : आ. चारुमति रामदास हमारे दूर-दराज़ के प्रान्तों में से एक थी जागीर इवान पेत्रोविच बेरेस्तोव की. जवानी में वह फ़ौज में काम करता था, सन् 1797 में निवृत्त होकर वह अपने गाँव चला गया और वहाँ से फिर कभी कहीं नहीं गया. उसने एक ग़रीब कुलीना से ब्याह…