Friends; as you are all aware the farmers agitation, particularly from farmers in Punjab, UP, Haryana and Delhi at New Delhi, has reached its 30th day with no indication of settlement.
The agitating FARMERS want that the so called ‘FARM LAWS (the 3 laws recently passed in Parliament)’ be withdrawn in ‘Total’.
- Today’s street agitation at New Delhi has drawn the largest protesters in history of street protests in last 30 years in India!
- No amount of reasoning with the protesters (estimated to be 70 percent traders, 30 percent farmers) to make them understand that the laws passed benefit them and the government has an honest agenda to ‘double their income’ by end of year 2022, has borne fruit.
- All opposition parties are backing this Farm protests as it gives them a chance to confront the ruling party (BJP and Modi in particular.) They hate Modi’s successes (many) in last 6-years. They are scared that the ongoing successes of Modi will win him a third term in 2024 since he has more or less fullfilled most promises from Demonetizing to Tripple talaq to A370 abrogation in Kashmir to building Ram Mandir in Aayodhya. He is also succeeding in bringing democracy at the grass roots level with recent municipal elections in the UT of J&K, even as he builds up the Indian military and Airforce to maintain the much needed military deterrence to keep China at bay. Once the pandemic is controlled in India, he might even steadily grow the economy from where it is stagnating now into a 5 trillion dollar economy in his present term itself!
- Most India watchers have given Modi the thumbs up for all the progress so far under this BJP government in last 6 years; optimism that the economy is going to bounce back once the Corona virus is brought under control is growing fast.
- Coming to the 3 FARM LAWS…, bringing a better deal for the hard working farmer (tiller of soil) will be another feather in Modi’s cap if the growing Farmers Protest is halted.
Here is my suggestion:
- At next Parliament session withdraw these 3 Farm laws as worded now; street agitators and opposition parties will pat their backs saying they have broken Modi’s back!
- Re-introduce them by labeling them ‘AGRICULTURAL COMMODITY TRADING LAWS’
How does that help?
Constitution of India does not restrict selling or marketing of any COMMODITY (agricultural commodity included,) to producing zone only.
All commodities can be traded/marketed in any part of India (State or Union Territory) by moving them from production zone to consumption zone.
For example, KERALA is a agricultural produce consuming zone, not a producing zone. KERALA has no APMC (MANDI). KERALA largely buys agricultural produce like Wheat, Rice, Lintels etc from neighboring States of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, and even from as far as PUNJAB, HARYANA and UP.
THE WORD AGRICULTURE is restricted to production (by tilling, sowing, harvesting) of crops in the Farms, Once such ‘produce’ is separated (by harvesting) from their sapling (agri-plant) such produce becomes a ‘Commodity’.
- if the 3 FARM LAWS, red herring now for the Union government, are re-labeled ‘AGRICULTURAL COMMODITY TRADING LAWS’ the middle men involved in buying/selling and in general profiting from them through the APMC (MANDI) in the State of Punjab (to start with,) can be silenced.
- the real poor farmer (tiller of soil in Punjab) can then have a choice to sell the produce directly, a) either at the local APMC (local MANDI) or, b) to any buyer in any State outside the producing State using online trading practices and benefit from it.
- Middle men (70% of protesters today) can be largely silenced as such a move will be fully protected by the Constitution of India.
Thewriterfriends.com is an experiment to bring the creative people together on one platform. It is a free platform for creativity. While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of platforms that provide space for expression around the world, the feeling of being a part of fraternity is often lacking. If you have a creative urge, then this is the right place for you. You are welcome here to be one of us.
In Indian TV and Cinema, movie actors hesitate to play bizarre or funny character roles. This is not so in TV serials and Hollywood Cinema in the west. Many good looking Stars and Starlets play bizarre character roles which is often totally different in role play compared to the way they are in real life. …
I belong to a family where WALKING is a passion. A Manthra. A watchword for good health. My husband wakes up at 4.45 a.m. and leaves for his “WALK” by 5.15 a.m. My son who is in Bangalore ” WALKS ” . He has a passion for the MARATHONS and takes part with all sincerity.…
Exotic Bali islands of Southeast Asia are part of Indonesia and the westernmost of the lesser Sunda Islands. Bali can be located east of Java and west of Lombok; Bali province of Indonesia includes the island of Bali and a few smaller neighbouring islands, notably Nusa Penida, Nusa Lembongan, and Nusa Ceningan. Look for Bali,…
I remember, I was in 6th standard then. We used to come back from school around 4:30 PM. Immediately after dumping the school bags, removing the school uniform and changing in to a set of ‘home clothes’ we would rush out to play. The sun sets early in the hills and every minute used to…
Photo I got over WhatsApp. The little girl at bottom right is likely to be Kamala when she visited her grandparents in Chennai with her mother, then a civil rights activist from Chennai (at left) [HOPE I AM CORRECT here… this picture is a Whatsapp forward] Campaigning is on in USA for next President of…