Nutrient-rich millets got a boost with the Union government of India deciding to declare 2018 as the ‘national year of millets’.
- This decision was taken following a request by the State of Karnataka, which is India’s leader in the millet growing sector.
At the inauguration of the three-day international trade fair (Jan 19 through 21st) of organics and millets, Union Statistics and Program Implementation Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda said the Union Agriculture Ministry has already completed the formalities to promote millets.
- Karnataka Agriculture Minister Krishna Byre Gowda mentioned how (and why) it takes 5000 liters of water to bring one kilogram of white polished rice to market (from sowing stage in wet lands through polishing to make white rice) compared with millets that hardly need 50 liters of water!
- Millets can be grown in dry lands and arid climates of north-Karnataka.
- Given the same government incentives that paddy and wheat cultivation get today starting from agricultural subsidies, water canals, bore wells, pump sets etc to boost paddy cultivation… price of millets in the retail market can be brought at par with white rice.
- High demand vs poor supply in the retail market is the reason for millet prices to go sky rocketing.
According to experts, dedicating a year for millets will not only increase awareness about its health benefits, but also result in higher demand for these drought-resistant varieties, resulting in remunerative prices for poor and marginal farmers.
- Addressing the gathering, Karnataka Agriculture minister said that the State will give incentives to promote Millet cultivation ‘as we move towards climate-smart agriculture in the wake of frequent droughts’.
- He pointed out that the State had witnessed only three normal rainfall years from 2000 to 2017.
- The State government has spent ₹200 crore in the last four years publicising the health benefits of Millets among consumers in a bid to trigger an increase in demand.
- The State has also appealed to the Centre to include Millets in the mid-day meal scheme for school children and in the Public Distribution System, he said.
2018 Organics and Millets Trade Mela (Palace grounds, Bengaluru)
250 companies had set up stalls at the Organics and Millets trade fair. Around 150 companies participated as buyers. Various research organisations and healthcare companies participated in the International trade mela to highlight the importance of millets in diet-foods especially for growing children and diabetics.
Some images from the Bengaluru Mela (Jan 19 to Jan 21)
My son, Vinay Rao Bhardwaj (second from left) presently@ www.ensocure.com was one of the panelists at the Organics and Millets trade fair, Palace grounds, Bengaluru.
Thewriterfriends.com is an experiment to bring the creative people together on one platform. It is a free platform for creativity. While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of platforms that provide space for expression around the world, the feeling of being a part of fraternity is often lacking. If you have a creative urge, then this is the right place for you. You are welcome here to be one of us.
*******ARRANGING FOR MILK FOR GOGA*********** Goga was crazy about milk and milk products. Though he was crazy about everything but his craze for milk surpassed all his crazes. All his talk centered around having dhoodh, dahi, lassi, burfee. Once he said “ Yar sadi mummy majh kyon nayeen ban jandi (Pal, Why doesn’t our mother…
I belong to a family where WALKING is a passion. A Manthra. A watchword for good health. My husband wakes up at 4.45 a.m. and leaves for his “WALK” by 5.15 a.m. My son who is in Bangalore ” WALKS ” . He has a passion for the MARATHONS and takes part with all sincerity.…
TALIBAN resurgence in Afghanistan is not of concern to India… Pakistan-China nexus should be India’s concern
(pic) Taliban, the new Afghans, at northwestern borders of India. Picture is a download from internet for illustrative purposes. Kanwal Sibal (writer of article sighted below,) is a career diplomat who retired as Foreign Secretary to the Government of India. In 2017, The Government of India awarded him with the Padma Shri award for his…
Following the tradition of the past couple of election cycles, there will be three presidential debates and one between the vice presidential nominees. All the debates will be 90 minutes in length, and will run from 9 p.m.-10:30 p.m. ET without commercial breaks. Details concerning the sensitive question of having live audience members — and…
My Source: https://www.deccanherald.com/business/indian-rupee-emerges-worst-performing-asian-currency-in-2020-930769.html Despite Indian claims as an emerging ‘World Power’, Despite weakness of the USD in 2020, Indian rupee linked to International currencies in general and S-Asian currencies in particular, failed to emerge from its weak performance throughout year 2020. Most other Asian currencies remained stronger against the USD in 2020. Even Nepal currency…
लेखिका: वेरा पनोवा अनुवाद: आ. चारुमति रामदास करस्तिल्योव की हुकूमत उन्होंने एक गढ़ा खोदा, उसमें खंभा लगाया, लंबा तार खींचा. तार सिर्योझा के आंगन में मुड़ता है और घर की दीवार में चला जाता है. डाईनिंग रूम में छोटी सी मेज़ पर, सिग्नल पोस्ट की बगल में काला टेलिफ़ोन रखा है. ‘दाल्न्याया’ रास्ते पर…
When words end up being stringed, they make a lovely chain for the readers. Some can be just cast away and some preserved. The best chains are those which are seen again and again and worn close to the heart.Okay.I am talking about blogs. Blogs come in many forms and need not always relate a…
1922 photo of Thomas Edison Edison testing first light bulb (illustration) ———————————————————————————————————————— Edison Born: Feb 11, 1847 [Milan Ohio, USA] Died: Oct 18, 1931 [West Orange New Jersey, USA (at age 84) ] ———————————————————————————————————————— …